Canada Allows CELPIP Results For Skilled Worker and Professional CategorP

Canada Allows Results  From New CELPIP  Test As  Proof English Language  Skills for the skilled worker  and professional  category. Note that the CELPIP is  not acceptable for all catefories!

You may remember  an old television ad for  Tetly Tea:  “Only in Canada You Say!”

Canada requires  proof of English Language  proficiency to immigrate to Canada. For many years the IELTS has been the only game in town when it comes to establishing proof of English language proficiency for purposes of Canada immigration. That has changed.

The IELTS must now compete with the newly released CELPIP Test. The acronym stands for:

“Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program”

Like  the IELTS there  is both an Academic (used to  study in Canada) and a General Version (used for immigration to Canada). The CELPIP originates  from the University of British Columbia, uses Canadian English (whatever that is), is computer based, and is administered by a an organization called  “Paragon Testing”.

There is presently an opportunity to take a free sample test. Preparation materials  are low cost.

I am intrigued by the fact that the CELPIP tests “Canadian English”. Sounds interesting. This may NOT turn out to be a sound marketing strategy. IELTS and TOEFL are used internationally. Therefore, those who are undergoing English Language testing for academic purposes may be better off taking the IELTS or TOEFL.

The CELPIP is an interesting innovation. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

To learn about the CELPIP visit:


One thought on “Canada Allows CELPIP Results For Skilled Worker and Professional CategorP

Comments are closed.